April 21, 2013 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
International Avenue (4501 - 17 Avenue SE)
Join REAP and its partners for a FREE, fun filled day for the whole family!
Our 25 inside displays will help you to discover practical, green solutions for your home and your community so that you can live locally, making every day Earth Day. Another 6 displays outside (2 are heated buses that you board), plus a food truck will bring even more breadth to our festivities.
Here are just some of the things you can do in our interactive zones:
- Learn about International Avenue's future community orchards, generously donated by The Naaco Truck (presentation inside at 1:00 pm)
- Try a naaco
- Learn where your food comes from with Calgary Coop's new Localize Your Food program
- Get a list of Alberta's sustainable farms and the places that sell their products
- Learn how Albert Park Centennial Garden and Forest Lawn Community Garden are building community
- Find out why Bow Point Nursery raises only native plants to Southern Alberta
- Get your bike tuned and ready for spring at Bike Root Tune Tent
- Win a bike compliments of B&P Cycle and Sports and International Avenue
- Visit Bike Calgary to learn about urban biking courses, Cyclepalooza and more
- Zap vampires dead at ENMAX's solar energy video game kiosk, powered by their solar trailer
- Get to know your local businesses at Momentum's matching game and win $100 to spend at your favourite International Avenue businesses
- Take home a bee made by your child with recycled materials compliments of Liliana's Ecorations
- Surrender your DEET for something cleaner, get a complimentary skin care consultation from Riva's Eco Store and Intelligent Nutrients while your child explores Calgary's greenest toys in Riva's play area
- Get your groove on in the Bass Bus
- Be entertained by a puppet show on water conservation in Evergreen Theatre's Puppet Bus (shows at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30 pm)
- Get your face painted by Terrrrrific Face Painting
- Check out electric and hybrid vehicles from ENMAX and First Calgary Financial
- Celebrate local living with a piece of cake from First Calgary
- Win tickets to the newest Canadian environmental documentary, entitled Revolution, each hour
- Meet Miss Earth Alberta
- Help your little buckaroo climb into a saddle and lasso something with Trail's End Beef
- Make your own non-toxic cleaners at the Conscious Home booth
- Make a seed bomb to take home and plant at the Poppy Innovations booth
- Learn how to make your home healthier for you and the environment with Green Calgary
- Listen to live music by Los Morenos
- Win a variety of prizes from International Avenue and other exhibitors
- And much, much more!
Admission is FREE. All ages welcome.
Join the conversation about this event on Facebook and help us spread the word!
This event is bullfrogpowered with 100% green electricity.
Proudly presented by REAP Business Association in partnership with:
The International Avenue Business Revitalization Zone is a non-profit corporation formed by the business community to improve and revitalize the area. The zone runs 35 blocks along International Avenue (17 Ave SE) from 26 to 61 Street. We are funded by a levy on all businesses in the area with a budget set by the business community. Our award-winning state of the art redesign for the street should be realized soon.
First Calgary Financial is committed to understanding emerging practices in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), from a social, environmental and economic perspective. CSR takes us well beyond showing leadership in community advocacy; it shows how important it is to articulate and demonstrate how our decisions impact the financial well-being of our organization and all stakeholders, the well- being of the communities in which we operate as well as our internal community and culture, and the physical and natural environment in which we exist.
Carlisle Group is the market leader in developing low rise condominiums catering to the entry level market and the down-sizing market, offering them a price competitive quality home. Carlisle strategically manages each facet of condominium development by diligently acquiring land in desirable locations that meets their formula for a planned lifestyle community. It strives to be the Multi-Family Builder of choice, in the markets in which it operates, recognized for creating the best value and lifestyle for the greatest number of home buyers that may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience the pride of home ownership.
Bullfrog Power, Canada's 100% green energy provider, offers renewable energy solutions that enable homes and businesses to reduce their environmental impact and help create a cleaner, healthier world. Bullfrog's green electricity comes exclusively from wind and hydro facilities that have been certified by Environment Canada under its EcoLogoM program and its green natural gas is produced in Canada from biogas facilities that have met ICF International's strict environmental criteria. REAP's fifth annual Down to Earth Day is bullfrogpowered with 100% green electricity. This means that Bullfrog Power will inject carbon-free green power onto the Alberta electricity grid to match the amount of electricity used by this event.
Calgary Coop's roots run deep in the heart of the community as the only truly Calgarian food retailer. We provide the freshest, best quality products at competitive prices, and are the only retailer in Calgary offering an annual membership refund in the form of cash and equity to our member-owners.